Thursday, September 23, 2010

Heaven....again!

Back in February I told you guys of a conversation I had with the Red's about heaven.  I don't know why I am always the one who gets stuck with the heaven conversations, but somehow they seek me out.
Last night I was reading the Red's a Bible story. It was the parable Jesus told about the fisherman's net (Matthew 13:47-49).  It says that the fisherman fished where there were many types of fish and then they kept the good fish and tossed out the bad fish.  It goes on to say that the fisherman's net is like God's kingdom, everyone wants to be part of His kingdom but the angels will come and separate the godly people from the ungodly people. 
As soon as I read that last part Andrew perks  up ready to fire questions away, and I felt a knot in my stomach.  Jesse is so much better at handling the Red's crazy questions than I am.  I get a blank stare on my face and search deep for the "right" answers to tell them. 
So Andrew says "what's ungodly people?"
I tried to explain the best I could by saying "well, it's those who have not asked Jesus into their hearts to live forever, and those who choose not to live like Jesus everyday".
Eli says "yeah, like hitting people"
Andrew: "or bullying"
Me:  "okay, sure"
I continued reading the story, but I soon realized that our conversation would continue after I read these words: "The godly people will live in heaven with me forever".
Then I knew where their little minds were headed and I knew where the questions would aim and sure enough I was right.
Andrew: "I want to go to heaven tomorrow"
Eli starts to tear up and says with a wail "I DON'T WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN".....and the tears started flowing.

I tried my best to console him and reassure him that heaven is the best of the best.  It is more beautiful than we could ever imagine.
Andrew chimes in with: "yeah Eli, it will have all kinds of toy stores and you don't have to pay any money and you can get whatever you want....right mom?"
Me:  "well........it is more awesome than we can ever think"
Andrew:  "and all my girlfriends will be there"

This is where I start stumbling around
Me:  "um...sure"
Eli:  "but it won't have food and drink"
Me:  "Eli, you won't need food and drink there"
Eli:  "but I will get hungry and thirsty"
I begin looking for my exit because I see there is NO END IN SIGHT!!!!

Eli:  "what about my teacher, will she be there"
Eli:  "what about my girlfriend Macy"
Eli:  "what about Gus and Belle"
Eli:  "what about our house"
I wanted so badly just to say yes to all these questions and tell them not to worry.  That it would be a long time before we got to go to heaven, but I knew better.  We are not promised tomorrow. 
I can't say that Eli was just as fired up as Andrew, but he did calm down.
After a few more questions I told them it was time to pray (and boy, did I need to pray at this point)!  It still amazes me how fired up Andrew gets about heaven at such a young age.  At the same time my heart ached with the thought of ever loosing him (or any of them).  I had to retire myself to prayer and remind myself that even though I love these kids more than I can stand that God loves them even more and they are His first!
I found it a bit strange that Andrew (a 6 year old) would teach me a lesson.  We should ALL be just as excited about heaven as he is.  Isn't that what it's all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...