Thursday, March 10, 2011

Worry....It's a Killer!

The other day I took Andrew for his routine 3 month check up for his ultrasound and blood work.  I have mentioned before that Andrew has Beckwith Weidemann Syndrome which puts him in a high risk category for developing tumors in his abdomen.  Since the kids with this syndrome are prone to these tumors (Whelms tumors...which are very fast growing), they must be screened every three months to make sure everything is alright.

Anyways, as I said, I took Andrew for his test and came home.  A few days later the doctor called with the results, which immediately made me catch my breath because she never calls....it's always the nurse.  As soon as I heard her voice my heart started pitter pattering and my mind began the downward spiral thinking.  I was trying so desperately to make the small talk with the doctor and at the same time my mind was racing out of control.  In a matter of seconds, (in my mind), I had my son....with cancer and on chemo already.  My fears were quickly relieved when she gave me the results and told me everything looked great.
When I hung up the phone I took a deep breath to calm myself and then I was awestruck on how quickly I let worry and fear take me over completely.
What just happened?  Where was my faith?  Where was my trust in God?

WORRY...it's a killer...of the soul!  It strips you of self control, rational thinking, trust, and faith. It takes you over and gives you anxiety.....for what exactly?  Things that we have fabricated in our minds.  Things that are all out of our control. 
CONTROL......loss of control causes worry....but when did we forget that WE are NOT in control....GOD IS!
It amazes me on how often throughout the Bible, God talks about worry, fretting, and letting Him handle things!
He all but begs us to lay our life down (which includes not only our heart and soul but everything in between..our house, our jobs, our kids, our spouse, our families, our church, our friends, our health, our MONEY).  He commands us to "Do Not Fret"!
So why is it that we consume ourselves with worry?

My Mom always used the phrase with me growing up: "Don't borrow trouble". How profound that statement is. 

The Bible says it this way: " But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34.

Sorry for my ramblings everyone, not sure why this hit me so hard, but I felt compelled to share it with you today! So, "Let Go, and Let God", "Don't worry, Be happy" Had to throw that one in : )
And my most favorite:
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways submit to him, and he will direct your paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6

My prayer for each of you today is that God would grant you peace over your "worries", calm your pitter pattering hearts and allow Him to take over and direct your paths!
I love you all so very much and I am thankful for each of you!

The Rambling Sarge

1 comment:

  1. Joy - Thanks for sharing with such honesty. Don't we all rush to jump on that Worry Train to nowhere? I hang on those verses by my fingernails sometimes. Another great reason to hide His Word in our hearts - for times like these. Praising Him for keeping Andrew healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...