Tuesday, July 20, 2010

God's Promise

Last night we had a storm that blew through and left a beautiful double rainbow in it's aftermath.  I ran and got the Reds and brought them outside.  They stood their in astonishment for a few moments and then started asking me all kinds of questions.  The first was: "why did God put a rainbow in the sky?", followed by "I want to touch it".  I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to link up the Bible story of Noah in their minds.  So I started with reminding them about Noah and the big boat and how God flooded the earth because of all the bad people doing bad things, and then finished off with how God put a rainbow in the sky as a promise he would never flood the earth again.  They listened intently and when I was finished Eli ran out the door and folded his little hands and said "thank you God for sending us a rainbow".  I thought how powerful that statement was and how Eli didn't even really know what he had just said.  How we forget to thank God for the promise he gave us and not destroying us even with all the ugliness in the world.  I have to say it brought tears to my eyes and I relished the moment.......until Eli turned and said "mom, is God gonna flood me when I'm bad?".  I thought about this for a second wondering if this could be one of those scare tactics I could use to get good behavior.....but in the end I decided to be nice and tell him to remember that it was God's promise never to flood the earth again and no God would not flood him.
The conversation quickly changed when both boys decided to dart the never ending questions of why they couldn't touch the rainbow and why we couldn't go to the end of the rainbow.........at least there was a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...