Last Night Andrew came running to me whimpering a little. So I asked: "what's wrong Andrew?". His reply: "mommy, I swallowed one of my army guys".
With Andrew being 6 years old I don't worry about him choking on toys like I do Payton. I figure that he is old enough to know better than put small toys in his mouth. As parents, we allow our children to grow and mature and when this starts to happen we let go of the reigns a little. The problem is.....setting the example. You see when you have a parent who likes to chew on plastic objects for some unknown reason (I would be talking about Jesse here) it doesn't set the precedent for the kids. He can't handle not having something in his mouth to chew...like pen tops, straws, the kids small toys, or anything plastic lying around. I call it his nervous tick....a rather obnoxious nervous tick when none of my pens work because he has chewed the clicky part to pieces. Okay, soap box over....now back to the story at hand.
So I say: "Andrew, are you okay? Does it hurt? Can you show me exactly what you swallowed?".
Good Bye All American Hero! You lived a brave life...God Speed!