Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Have A Dream....

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
As you are all aware we celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. day on January 17th.  Schools were not in session this day so when they returned the next day the teachers at the Red's school wanted to share the story of this special man and why we celebrate him.  Eli's teacher knew that it would be difficult to express to  kindergartners the greatness about Martin Luther King Jr. and how important his role was.  After she told them them about him, they all drew pictures and wrote something about him...or a dream they have.  Then to finish it up she showed them a short movie about Martin Luther King Jr. that was made just for kids.  At the end of the movie it told the kids about Dr. King being shot.  So this is Eli's recount of the events:

When Eli jumped into the car after school he was so excited!  He said "Mom, I had the most awesomest day today".  I replied "really, well tell me about it".
He was so happy to tell me the story he learned about Dr. King and he started with:
Eli: "We learned about Dr. Martin Loser King today"
Me: "Who did you say?"
Eli: "Dr. Martin Loser King, mom"
Me: "OH....Eli, it's Dr. Martin Luther King"
Eli: "No mom, it's Dr. Martin Loser King", "Yeah, he had a dream and someone didn't like it so they shot him".

Yes, I laughed, not at the story...but at the recount by Eli...and the fact that he couldn't say his name right.
Okay, well at least he kind of understood.......

Later that night he retold the story to Jesse and then said "I want to pray for Dr. Martin Loser King and ask Jesus to bring him back to life".  We told him that he would get to meet Dr. King one day in heaven. 
I have to say, it thrilled my heart to know that my son is color blind, and how that's how it should been for everyone.  How exciting to know that this generation is living Dr. King's dream!
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.




1 comment:

  1. Our children can certainly be the greatest teachers we'll ever have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...